28 September 2011

It's an Ex-Pat's Life For Me

Lawrence of Arabia, I am not.
Why does this movie always make me think of Dune?
I won't be going native any time soon. I am much too attached to my foreign luxuries. Speaking of which, I found a Piece of the True Cross (I'd call it the Holy Grail, but I have a whole wish list of things I'd like to find), today:
Diet Caffeine Free Coke, FTW.

I also quite enjoy the pesto, Frosted Flakes, and Swiss Miss stashed in my cupboard. It's not just food, either. My apartment shows heavy Ikea influence: bed linens, picture frames, bookends, decorative items, even my desk lamp. This is not entirely because I am seeking out the comforts and familiarity of home. After all, back home I own maybe four things from Ikea, and I can't remember the last time I ate Frosted Flakes (but finding Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds are another item on the Quest list), and Swiss Miss is satisfies my childhood nostalgia, but I'd really prefer Hannaford brand cocoa.
Who's Up for a Round of "Spot the Ikea?"
No, I have things from Ikea because I knew Ikea would have what I needed, and its prices are reasonable. I have hot chocolate powder because I have to boil the water before I drink it, and you can only drink so much tea/plain hot water. I have Frosted Flakes because I don't feel like making breakfast or running out for baozi every day. I put pesto on my noodles because I am a terrible Chinese cook and one can only eat so many vegetable stir-fries.

Furthermore, while I spend a significant proportion of my time with other foreigners (such is the nature of my job), and while a significant proportion of my attempts to communicate are in English, I do seek out and relish opportunities to interact with local people. Just today, I went out to do some grocery shopping. During my three hours or so out and about, I managed to have short exchanges with three people in Chinese, and to learn a new word (zhenzi: hazelnut).
Roast Sweet Potato. Street food is one of my favorite parts of China.
Still, I’ve got a lot of work to do if I want to move from being an ex-pat to being good old Lawrence.  Comparing my life here to my life in Beijing, I think I am more daring and less afraid of failure in my daily interactions with Guangzhou. If anything, I have not yet found a place or opportunity to closely engage with local people. But I’m working on it. Maybe, as the weather begins to cool (it was only 75 the other night!), I will spend more time in our courtyard garden in the evening, and strike up a conversation. Maybe I’ll actually get around to seeking out some Chinese cooking classes. Maybe.

For now, though, you’ll have to excuse me. I’ve got half a jar of pesto that needs to be finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment